Friday, January 25, 2013

Before I was a dreamer, now I am a believer.....

When I was younger, I have a lot of dreams. I thought I can do so many things at the same time. I thought I can do different things. I wanted to be a dentist, a broadcaster, a writer, a teacher, a ballerina, and a pianist. As I grew older, things change. My dreams change as I grew a year or two years. The time came and I understood that there were things that could not happen and things that were not meant to happen. I decided to took up Mass Communication to be a reporter, I found the job very noble and exciting. I thought it was just like that. While studying everything about media, I realized that I wanted to be part of the production, one of the people who works behind the camera. Of course after graduation, as an aspiring media practitioner I wanted to work in the media industry. Things did not happen according to what I dreamed before. Now I am an online English tutor and currently taking up teaching units. 

There might be a big wave that came and change the direction of my current but still I know I am on my way there. I may not be in the place where I dreamt to be but I believe that I am on the right spot to start on. I know that I am now sailing on the right direction and there are questions that the wind brought in.


Why do I want to teach?

     I want to teach because I want to share my knowledge and experiences to the students. It is not just educating them about the lessons but also teaching them how to value their own self and to encourage them to dream. I also believe that a teacher is also a public servant. I can still help other people by means of teaching and communicating with them.

What should I teach?

     I would like to teach them the basics that they need to know, from basic to complex. I would also love to discuss some situation-based topics so that their reasoning and critical thinking skills will improve.

How should I teach?

     The focus should be to the student. I do not want to disregard the spoon-fed type of teaching but it will be better if we encourage students to think and decide things on their own. Let them have hands-on or scenario-based activities.

What kind of students do I want to have?

      I believe teachers wanted to have diligent and participial students but I think I should not be particular and selective when it comes to students. I believe that they come to school because they want to learn and gain knowledge. Some come to school because they  believe that education can help them to have a better life in the future.

How will I reach out to my students?

     It depends on the personality of the student that is why knowing them is very important. There are different strategies can be used in different kinds of students. (Honestly, I am not sure what kind of teacher I should be.)

What do I want them to learn from me?

     I am hoping that they would learn a lot from the lessons I taught. Most importantly, I want them to be compassionate in their dreams and to others.

Yes, before I was a dreamer but now is the time that I should start doing and believing in things that I wanted to happen. One step at a time, wave by wave I know I(we) will get there. 






“Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”  ~Harriet Tubman 




No comments:

Post a Comment